Contact the County

115 W Washington St.
Rensselaer, IN 47978
Get Directions
  • Personnel Directory

FAQs - Details


What is the difference between the CASA and a Social Worker?


The CASA volunteer is independent from the social services system and focuses solely on the child. The Department of Child Services (DCS) caseworker serves the family—parents and child—by providing direct services. DCS caseworkers are not able to be a wholly independent voice because they are part of the agency that has already taken a position in the case by filing a petition and bringing the matter to court. A CASA volunteer is an independent voice, not part of an agency that may be constrained by rules and regulations, agency policies and fiscal limitations.